Strength training is vital for footballers in order to build muscle and become stronger. An increase in strength can boost sprint speed, jump height and change of direction. Muscles are placed under stress during strength training, which results in muscle breakdown. Moderate carbohydrate intake is enough to fuel a gym session, because the physical demands are not as high as a match. However, to recover optimally and get stronger, protein intake is vital prior to and after each session. To achieve this, it is recommended that it should be consumed every 3-4 hours throughout the day.
Smashed avocado with poached egg and tomato
2 slices of wholemeal toast
2 slices of tomato
1. Add water to a pan and bring to the boil.
2. Mash the avocado in a bowl and add lemon juice to taste.
3. Add 1 egg into a bowl and reduce the heat in the pan. Then apply the egg. Repeat for the second egg.
4. Cook for 2-6 minutes depending on how you like your eggs.
5. Grill the tomato slices and toast the bread.
6. Once the bread is toasted, spread on the avocado and sprinkle with lemon zest. Apply the eggs on top and place the tomato slices on the side
2 slices of ham
1 bulb of spring onion
8 cherry tomatoes
1. Mix the eggs in a bowl
2. Add oil to a pan and apply the egg mixture
3. Once the bottom of the egg is starting to set add the onion, tomatoes and pepper.
4. Once the mixture has set a bit more add the ham and cheese.
5. Place pan under a grill and remove once cooked.
Masala cod with roasted turmeric new potatoes & peas
1 piece of cod
10g masala paste
½ teaspoon of garlic powder and ground ginger
125g of Greek yoghurt
160g new potatoes
1. Mix the yoghurt, masala paste, garlic and ginger in a bowl.
2. Rub the mixture over the fish and leave in the fridge for an hour to marinade.
3. Place the new potatoes onto a baking tray, apply oil and turmeric powder and rub into the potatoes.
4. Place into a preheated oven at gas mark 7 (220°C, 425°F) for 40-50 minutes turning half way through.
5. Grill the fish for 5-7 minutes each side
6. Add the peas to a pan of boil water and simmer for approximately 2-3 minutes.